Report written by the owner
In 2019 I took on the task of bringing back to life a 1980 built SHE 33 GRP sloop rigged yacht. She was fundamentally sound but needed a complete refit in all areas.
A major part of the project was a complete service of the keel steeped masthead rig with renewal of parts where necessary. I contracted Alex to coordinate and undertake the work for this part of the project which ultimately involved:
- Mast pull and complete strip down of all fittings for inspection and service (including spreaders).
- Specification, build and fitting of new Selden boom (which involved some ‘outside the box’ thinking to integrate a new section with a 40 year old mast).
- Complete replacement of all stainless steel wire standing rigging (shrouds, back and forestays) including all terminations.
- Full service and renewal of 75% of the running rigging.
- Build and fitting of 4 x new stainless steel lifelines.
Alex was a pleasure to work with from the outset and his relaxed yet professional manner gave me great confidence that the end result would be a top quality job, which has proven to be the case.
Alex listens to his clients, provides options and advice and has great attention to detail, nothing is in the ‘too difficult box’ for him.
Another of Alex’s admirable professional attributes is that he does all the building of rigging himself, terminations, splicing etc. He really understands the ‘nuts and bolts’ of his trade.
It was a pleasure to work with Alex and I would highly recommend him for any rig or rig related work that you need to undertake.
Matthew Willis, Yacht Shearwater